Week of August 31- September 6
Everyone has been impacted differently during the pandemic but the City Council and organizations throughout our community have offered varying support. Below is a compilation of free supplies and services provided to community members affected by COVID-19. Please note all details are subject to change and will be updated as additional information is provided. Real-time updates can also be found through organizers social media channels.
Free Food Pantry (drive-up, walk-up & delivery):
Sankofa Community Development Corporation food distribution in Lower Ninth Ward.
- 5200 Dauphine St, New Orleans, LA 70117
- Wednesday, September 2, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
United Way of Southeast LA is partnering with partnering with Creole Cuisine Restaurant Concepts and Louisiana Hospitality Foundation to distribute meals to hospitality workers this Wednesday. Two meals per person offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Drive-thru and walk-up available.
- Wednesday, September 2, 11AM – 1PM
- 2515 Canal St. back parking lot (enter off Iberville St.)
Giving Hope Food Pantry in New Orleans East. Walk-up food bank in partnership with Second Harvest capping each day at 300 families.
- Wednesday, September 2 through Friday, September 4, 11AM to 3PM
- 13040 I-10 Service Rd, New Orleans, LA 70128
Councilmember Kristin Gisleson Palmer, in partnership with Second Harvest Food Bank and World Central Kitchen, will host drive-up food pantries in District C every Friday and Saturday for families and individuals who have been financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. As a reminder, no documentation is required to receive a food pantry box, and walk-ups are welcome.
- Friday, September 4, 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM
- Arthur Monday Multi-Purpose Center, 1111 Newton Street, New Orleans, LA 70114
- Saturday, September 5, 10 AM to 12 PM
- Mahalia Jackson Theatre, 1419 Basin Street, New Orleans, LA 70116
Through the generous support of Councilman Banks, World Center Kitchen, and other generous partners/volunteers, the Ephesus Seventh-day Adventist Church will be serving meals to the community on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month. They will be distributing meals, masks, and produce to families during each feeding day. Strict sanitary measures will be followed and enforced to ensure the safety of the community and volunteers. Masked and gloved volunteers will place meals in the individual’s trunk or back seat.
- Saturday, September 5, 1PM – 2PM
- 2400 Delachaise St., New Orleans, LA 70115
Toups Meatery is offering free meals to the community starting at 3 PM everyday. It is for anyone in need but especially those in the service industry. You must call ahead (504-252-4999) so that they may safely box your food. More information at toupsmeatery.com
Residents of New Orleans in need of food can apply to receive meals through the City of New Orleans meal assistance program in partnership with FEMA and local restaurants. To learn more about the program and apply to receive meals visit nola.gov/311.
Metro-area service industry workers in need of food assistance should call 2-1-1. 2-1-1 is a free, non-emergency number staffed 24/7 with information about how to get food assistance from organizations like Second Harvest Food Bank. The 2-1-1 operator will take your address information and find a community food pantry and/or distribution supported by Second Harvest closest to you. 2-1-1 also offers other types of assistance as well.
When visiting a local food pantry for the first time, you should bring your ID, proof of income, and residency (something like a utility bill in your name.) If you don’t have proof of income or the other documents, you’ll still be able to self-declare on the application.
Free Mask Giveaway:
The Algiers Economic Development Foundation has 300 safely packaged masks (courtesy of www.sewdat.com) that they’d like to get into the hands of local businesses and employees. Please fill out this form to let them know how many masks you’d like and where they can be delivered.
- Masks will be delivered on the Tuesday or Thursday after you’ve made your request. If you have an emergency request, please email Executive Director Kelsey Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free COVID-19 Testing:
The Musicians’ Clinic partners with Community Organized Relief Effort (CORE) to provide easy access, appointment encouraged COVID-19 testing days for local musicians and culture bearers. Testing events will occur on the first Friday of every month in 2020.
- Friday, September 4, 11AM – 4PM
- Marigny Opera House, 725 St. Ferdinand Street
The City of New Orleans is working with various partners to offer free walk-up COVID-19 testing to the public.
New Zion Baptist Church
- Wednesday, September 2 and Thursday, September 3, 8AM – 1:30PM
- 2319 Third St, New Orleans, LA 70113
Bethlehem Lutheran Church
- Wednesday, September 2 and Thursday, September 3, 3PM – 7PM
- 1823 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70115
To learn more about the testing schedule and other locations, visit www.ready.nola.gov/incident/coronavirus/testing.
If you are providing food or supplies to hospitality workers and would like to be included please e-mail us at email@example.com.